We love to have dinner together before the 6pm service, but during lockdown, we’ve really missed it! Tune in from 5pm on Sunday June 21 and cook along with Andy. We’ll be making Cabonara, a great pasta that’s easy for any skill level.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 250g guanciale (salt-cured pork jowl), pancetta (Italian bacon), or bacon
- 250g mushrooms
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 100g Parmesan
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 450g of your favourite pasta (I’ll be using fettuccine)
This recipe is originally from Bon Appetit.
- Get some salted water on the boil in a large pot – enough to be able to cover your pasta
- Cut up the meat, mushrooms and garlic
- Whisk egg yolks and whole eggs together with a bunch of the cheese
- Heat oil in a large pan, ideally with high sides, add the bacon and cook until cooked, then add mushrooms and garlic
- Cook pasta in boiling water from step 1, until just under-cooked
- Using a heatproof jug, carefully scoop out around 2 cups of the pasta water
- Add about half of the pasta water to the bacon and bring to the boil
- Drain pasta and add to pan with bacon and pasta water
- Cook pasta, stirring lots, until it’s cooked
- Whisk about 1/4 cup of pasta water to the egg and cheese mixture, then pour slowly into the pasta, stirring lots until the cheese melts and egg thickens.
- Add some salt, and if the sauce is too thick, add a little more pasta water.
- Serve! Add heaps more cheese and some pepper.