SUNDAY 16 August
Access our streamed services here.
We start a new series of talks this week, The Spirit of Truth. In John 14:15-24 Jesus talks about the love between the Father and the Son and how we can be part of that love. Jesus promises his disciples that when he leaves them, they will not be alone, like orphans, but that God the Father would send his Spirit to live in them. The gift of the Spirit is still given to all those who love and trust Jesus – to be a friend, comforter and helper.
Our kids’ song today is Who’s the King of the Jungle – Get ready to sing and dance and make joyful sound effects!
Activities, if needed, to keep hands busy while listening to Tim’s talk:
Save the Date:
Next Sunday, 23 August, we will be having a social get-together and game from 5:30-6:00pm. This will be specifically aimed at young families, but ALL are welcome! (Zoom link and more info will be available on our Blog and Facebook pages next week.)
Family Devotion Time:
Before/After your service of choice, or at another time during the day/week that best suits your family, spend some time together exploring God’s word.
Read … Romans 8:14-17
When God adopts us, he makes us part of his family, we get to call him Father, he shares everything with us AND he will never, ever let us go.
Ice breaker …
- If you could be chosen for anything in the world, what would you most like to be chosen for?
- The chauffeur asked if the boys could have wished for anything better. What did one boy say he wished for?
- Why is adoption so much better than just visiting?
- Did God choose you because you have done good things or because he loves you?
- When we trust in Jesus and are part of God’s family what do we have? Compare your responses to these. You might like to stick this up somewhere to remind you.
- If you have a roll of paper, or sheets you can stick together, trace around the body of one of your family members. Alternatively, print this body outline. Write or draw, on and around the body, the good things mentioned in Romans 8:14-17 that a person has because they have God’s Spirit.
- Add to your picture other good things are God gives his family? (Chosen, Forgiven, God is with us always – he will never leave us, God hears and answers our prayers, God know us, Our sins are paid for – even the sin we’ve not done yet, Guaranteed place for us in the new Heaven and Earth, New bodies after we die, Get to see God face to face forever …)
How does this apply to me …
- Have you told Jesus that you trust and want to be a part of God’s family?
- How does it make you feel knowing you are part of God’s family forever?
- What is the best thing about having God as your heavenly Dad?
- God has been kind to us and has adopted us to be his!
- God will never un-adopt us
- God’s Spirit lives in us
- We can now call God our Father
- Everything God has he shares with us
- Because we’re now family!
Thank Jesus for making it possible for you to be a part of God’s family. Thank God for his Holy Spirit who lives in us when we trust in Jesus. Thank God for your favourite thing that he does for us when we are part of his family.
Family Devotion resource credit: Kidswise.